Even Though: Monkey See, Monkey Do


I'm a Christian, a wife to Lester for 34 years, a mother to three great kids, a grandmother to five. I'm also a writer and Published author.

What I'm not is perfect. On any given day I am sure to mess up in dozens of ways. I will be impractical and make decisions that will hurt my family, my finances or my future. I will be impatient and say or do something to annoy, distract, or damage others. I will be impulsive and allow my anger, my frustration or my sadness to lead me into sinning against my God and others. I WILL BE IMPERFECT. It's who I am.

Yet, even though I'm not yet who I could be in Christ, He loves me anyway! God loves me anyway!


Sunday, February 23, 2014

Monkey See, Monkey Do


Psalm 22:30-31

30 Posterity will serve him;
    future generations will be told about the Lord.
31 They will proclaim his righteousness,
    declaring to a people yet unborn:
    He has done it!

Every year at Easter Janie’s mother made a ham for dinner. Every year Janie watched her lop off both ends of the ham before putting it in the pan to roast. 

When she became a wife and mother, Janie too, made ham for Easter dinner. One year as her daughter watched her making the Easter feast, Janie chopped off both ends of the ham and threw them away before putting the ham in the roasting pan. Janie’s daughter asked her why she did this. Janie replied, “Gee I don’t really know. It’s just something my mother always did.” 

Janie’s daughter was curious. So, when her grandmother came to dinner that evening she asked, “Grandma, why have you always cut both ends off of every ham you’ve ever baked?” Grandma chuckled and replied, “I always had a pretty small roasting pan and none of the hams I ever bought would fit in it if I didn’t chop off the ends”.


All those years of watching mom prepare the ham had ingrained in Janie the idea that she had to cut off the ends of the ham…even though she didn’t really know why. 

Children learn from their parents. As they grow they emulate what they see their parents doing. Whether it’s chopping ham or reading the Bible; washing their hands before dinner or praying.
 
Teach them to worship the Lord! Teach them to praise Him! Teach them to live in His Word! Teach them to love Him! Teach them to share His good news and the Glory of God!

Teach them to do all of these things by doing all of these things…


Children are our mirrors. What are they reflecting of you?

No comments:

Post a Comment