Even Though: Life is not fair!


I'm a Christian, a wife to Lester for 34 years, a mother to three great kids, a grandmother to five. I'm also a writer and Published author.

What I'm not is perfect. On any given day I am sure to mess up in dozens of ways. I will be impractical and make decisions that will hurt my family, my finances or my future. I will be impatient and say or do something to annoy, distract, or damage others. I will be impulsive and allow my anger, my frustration or my sadness to lead me into sinning against my God and others. I WILL BE IMPERFECT. It's who I am.

Yet, even though I'm not yet who I could be in Christ, He loves me anyway! God loves me anyway!


Thursday, February 13, 2014

Life is not fair!

James 1:2-4 ESV

Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.

The game of checkers is fair--as long as you're not playing with a cheat. Chess is a pretty fair game, too--as long as you and your opponent are equally matched (or very nearly so).  

But life... life is not fair.  There are no "as long as" statements that make any part of life fair, ever.

There will always be someone richer, prettier, thinner; there will always be someone who drives a bigger /better car; there will always be someone taller, stronger, more macho; there will always be someone who is a better cook, a better mother, a better wife, a better employer, employee, co-worker, or friend.  There will always be someone better off than you.

There will always be choices to regret, wrong paths to walk down and history to repeat. 

There will always be illness. There will always be tragedy. There will always be loss. There will always be death.  

AND...so, there will always be one standard by which we all must live--Life is not fair.  

Get over it.

Live it anyway. Take your lumps. Make  your mistakes. Live with your choices. Make your own history! Smile at those who are better than you at ...whatever they're better at... and know, deep inside that somewhere out there, there is someone better than they are... at something.  

Life is not fair. So what? 

Jesus is fair. God is fair. He loves us all equally and mercifully. Jesus loves us even though we're impractical, impulsive, impatient and imperfect. God loves us in good time and bad. He loves us in illness and health. He loves us when we're down and out. God loves us when life is not fair.


There is nothing that can compare with that!

No comments:

Post a Comment