Even Though: Joy Joy Joy Down In My Heart


I'm a Christian, a wife to Lester for 34 years, a mother to three great kids, a grandmother to five. I'm also a writer and Published author.

What I'm not is perfect. On any given day I am sure to mess up in dozens of ways. I will be impractical and make decisions that will hurt my family, my finances or my future. I will be impatient and say or do something to annoy, distract, or damage others. I will be impulsive and allow my anger, my frustration or my sadness to lead me into sinning against my God and others. I WILL BE IMPERFECT. It's who I am.

Yet, even though I'm not yet who I could be in Christ, He loves me anyway! God loves me anyway!


Thursday, February 13, 2014

Joy Joy Joy Down In My Heart

1 Thessalonians 5:16-18
“Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.”


I have Rheumatoid Arthritis.  

Recently I've been experiencing a pretty agonizing flare. A flare is an increase in symptoms by double or more what I'm used to dealing with. 

All RA patients experience flares.  

I was speaking with a friend just a day or so ago and she said, "The good news is when this flare is over you'll go back to being pain free and your life can get back to normal."   

I hated to bust her bubble (and mine) but the reality is I will never be pain free again...not in this life time.  I have a debilitating, on-going, life altering disease.  Living a life of pain IS my normal.  

So what?!  

Listen, all of us deal with something.  

My mother says, "We each have a bag of rocks we have to tote around."  

My bag is RA. Yours may be Cancer or Chronic Fatigue Syndrome or Eczema or a cheating spouse or a messy house or the heartbreak of Psoriasis... 

Heck, your bag of rocks might even be a bag of rocks... who knows?  

What I do know is this: Life goes on and I go right along with it. I have to; the alternative is to give up and die, and I'm not ready for that yet.  

I've got a pretty wonderful--albeit stressful, wild, crazy, outlandish, weirdly remarkable--life. I like it like that. I don't have any time to feel sorry for myself or sit around moaning and groaning and complaining... well, I usually do make a little time for complaining... after all, I'm human. BUT, I don't make a career out of it. I can't. There's a big old happy life going on around me and I can't afford to miss it. 

Look, I'm not lecturing or trying to sound like something I'm not. I'm no Pollyanna. However, despite my circumstances I'm pretty happy with my life. 


Why do I tell you all this, you may be wondering, because I don't want anyone to think that I'm sitting around feeling sorry for myself. Nor do I want others feeling sorry for me.  

That same friend, whom I mentioned above, also said in an email today, "I just feel so bad for you. You're trapped in that house living a miserable life."  

I don't know where she got that idea...but I am neither trapped nor miserable.  I'm living large and loving it...

No comments:

Post a Comment