Even Though: Don't Worry! Be Happy!


I'm a Christian, a wife to Lester for 34 years, a mother to three great kids, a grandmother to five. I'm also a writer and Published author.

What I'm not is perfect. On any given day I am sure to mess up in dozens of ways. I will be impractical and make decisions that will hurt my family, my finances or my future. I will be impatient and say or do something to annoy, distract, or damage others. I will be impulsive and allow my anger, my frustration or my sadness to lead me into sinning against my God and others. I WILL BE IMPERFECT. It's who I am.

Yet, even though I'm not yet who I could be in Christ, He loves me anyway! God loves me anyway!


Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Don't Worry! Be Happy!



Yes. Yes I am.
I’m a worrier.


I can’t help it. It’s as imbedded in my DNA as the color of my eyes and the size of my feet. I worry about my kids and my kid’s kids. I worry about my husband and his health. I worry if he still finds me attractive. And, I worry about the amount of time he spends on freeways—the man gets lost coming out of the bedroom in the morning! 

I worry about the gray in my hair and the hair on my chin. I worry about the amount of time I spend on the computer. I worry about Karma and whether or not I should be worried about it.

I worry about the bacteria in yogurt. Scientists say it’s good for us, but that’s like saying snakes are good for gardens. Sure, they keep the vermin population under control but they also make me scream like a banshee and wet myself when I find one crawling across my feet as I weed the tomatoes. That’s not good for anyone. We plan to eat those tomatoes!


Can you believe I once worried myself into a therapist’s chair. She asked, “Can you tell me what it is you’re so very worried about?” An hour later I was still listing my fears. She told me I needed many more sessions to learn to face my terrors. Suddenly, I began to worry that therapy might actually work! If she cured me of all my anxiety…who would I be then?

So, yes. I'm a worrier.


Yet, God doesn’t want us to worry!


6 Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.

7 And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. 
~Philippians 4:6-7
 

The Bible tells us to go to God in prayer; to take everything to him and he will grant us the peace which surpasses all understanding. How wonderful it is to know that I truly have nothing to worry about. God is in control. He’s got my back.



Does that mean I can stop worrying? You bet! 

Does it mean I WILL stop worrying? Probably not. I’m human, I’m a type “A” personality (I like to be in control of everything) and let’s face it, down deep I must enjoy worrying or I wouldn’t do it.


The good news is…despite my control issues…God takes my anxieties—sometimes wrenching them from my embrace with a crane and a tire tool—and he fixes all that’s broken in my life, including me, whether I want him to or not. 
God is just that good to me! 

He stops the worry in me despite myself.
  
It's hard, sometimes, but I AM learning to take everything to God in prayer. What happens to it from there is out of my control and none of my concern. Thank God for that!



He can do the same for you…unless, of course, you don’t want him to…if you enjoy the worry, the stress, the anxiety and pain you can certainly keep it… 
No? I didn’t think so. 


Don’t worry! Be happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment