Even Though: Attitude of Gratitude


I'm a Christian, a wife to Lester for 34 years, a mother to three great kids, a grandmother to five. I'm also a writer and Published author.

What I'm not is perfect. On any given day I am sure to mess up in dozens of ways. I will be impractical and make decisions that will hurt my family, my finances or my future. I will be impatient and say or do something to annoy, distract, or damage others. I will be impulsive and allow my anger, my frustration or my sadness to lead me into sinning against my God and others. I WILL BE IMPERFECT. It's who I am.

Yet, even though I'm not yet who I could be in Christ, He loves me anyway! God loves me anyway!


Monday, March 17, 2014

Attitude of Gratitude



Numbers 11:4-6


New International Version (NIV)


The rabble with them began to crave other food, and again the Israelites started wailing and said, “If only we had meat to eat! We remember the fish we ate in Egypt at no cost—also the cucumbers, melons, leeks, onions and garlic. But now we have lost our appetite; we never see anything but this manna!”

Have you ever thought about how hard it really is, SOMETIMES, to be grateful?

You wouldn’t think that would be the case, however, ungratefulness is often times our first response to the things we are given. I remember when I was a child; my sister and I were gifted little stuffed bunnies to celebrate the Easter holiday. They were adorable. However, my bunny was blue and my sister’s was purple and all I could think about was how much I wanted hers over my own. Other than their color the bunnies were identical. Why couldn’t I be happy with what I had?

For the same reason, I suppose, the Jews could not be happy with what they had. The Good Lord had gifted them with Manna from heaven. It was sweet, like honey, and filled their bellies when there was nothing else on hand. Every day it appeared miraculously with no effort on their part. They did not have to plow the ground, or plant to sow; they did not have to harvest or transform anything. All they had to do was gather it from the ground and eat of it. But were they grateful? Well, maybe in the beginning. But, it didn’t take long for them to lose that grateful attitude. Soon they became tired of the “same old thing”. They began to wish and beg for more. What’s worse, they began to grieve for their old lives as slaves to Egypt! “At least there we were taken care of!”

Holy Cow!

Have you lost your gratefulness? Have you become immune to the blessings you have because of God? Have you forgotten all He’s ever done for you?
Perhaps today would be a good day to be reminded that you are a child of God and as a result of His mercies you have been blessed beyond measure. Take a moment to list ALL of the gifts you’ve received from God and thank Him for each one. He loves you with all of His heart. A “Thank You” is all He asks for in return.

Thank you Father for your many blessings, some are big and some are small. Each is manna from heaven. We are grateful for your grace. In Jesus’ name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment